The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) points out that around 1 in 5 adults in the US experiences a mental illness within a given year. Roughly 1 in 25 adults in the US experience a mental illness severe enough to negatively impact their functioning in a year.
Mental Health America has identified several warning signs in adults that can help determine whether mental health support would be useful including:
- Confused thinking
- Prolonged depression (sadness or irritability)
- Feelings of extreme highs and lows
- Excessive fears, worries, and anxieties
- Social withdrawal
- Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping habits
- Strong feelings of anger
- Strange thoughts (delusions)
- Seeing or hearing things that aren’t there (hallucinations)
- Growing inability to cope with daily problems and activities
- Suicidal thoughts
- Numerous unexplained physical ailments
- Substance abuse
If you have noticed these concerns in yourself, please consult your medical provider or seek mental health support. The UNCG Psychology Clinic provides specialized treatments to adults and we are available to speak with you about your concerns and to help you decide whether our services would be helpful for you.