Welcome! This page serves as a resource for all of your advising needs as a psychology major.
- For Freshmen Students: All freshmen psychology students with completion of less than 24 credit hours (excluding in-progress courses) are required to meet with the College of Arts and Sciences Advising (CASA) Office by appointment (no walk-ins) for in-depth advising and planning. Please contact CASA at firstname.lastname@example.org or see http://www.uncg.edu/casa/ for an appointment.After you have met with an advisor in CASA, you are welcome to schedule an appointment with a staff advisor in the Psychology Department to review your plans and develop a long-term academic plan. A sign-up sheet will be posted each week during the semester on the door of Eberhart 285.
- For New Transfer Students: Students who are new transfers from other schools and who are majoring in psychology should meet with Dr. Pam Ladrow or Dr. Ashleigh Gallagher for an initial advising appointment. After that initial appointment, you are advised as a psychology major.
- For all other Sophomore, Junior, or Senior Psychology Majors: You are encouraged to meet with a staff advisor once per semester to make sure you are making progress toward the requirements for graduation. Appointments for staff advising can be scheduled via the sign-up system on Canvas. New psychology majors are typically added to the Canvas group automatically, but if you were not added, you can contact the director of advising, Dr. Pam Ladrow.
Wondering whether to meet with a Staff Advisor or your Faculty Advisor?
It depends on your goals:
- General Academic Planning: If you would like help planning your course schedule for the current semester or for future semesters, staff advisors are here to meet with you in 285 Eberhart. You may sign up for an appointment using the form on the door. A new sign-up schedule is posted each week.
- Primary Faculty Advising: If you would like help planning for graduate school, your primary faculty advisor can help. Your primary faculty advisor is listed in your Genie account. Contact information for your primary faculty advisor is located on our department web page.
Specific Advising Topics
- Pre-professional Programs Advising for the Psychology Major: If you are a psychology major planning to attend graduate school for medical school, dentistry, veterinary science, physical therapy, or occupational therapy, please make an appointment with Dr. George Michel.
- Studying Abroad Planning: If you are a psychology major planning to study abroad, please make an appointment with Dr. Pam Ladrow to discuss integrating the coursework with your psychology major.