Welcome! This page serves as a resource for all of your advising needs as a psychology major.
- For Freshmen Students: All freshmen psychology students with completion of less than 30 credit hours (excluding in-progress courses) are required to meet with the College of Arts and Sciences Advising (CASA) Office by appointment (no walk-ins) for in-depth advising and planning. Please contact CASA at firstname.lastname@example.org or see http://www.uncg.edu/casa/ for an appointment.After you have met with an advisor in CASA, you are welcome to schedule an appointment with a staff advisor in the Psychology Department to review your plans and develop a long-term academic plan.
- For New Transfer Students: Students who are new transfers from other schools and who are majoring in psychology should meet with Dr. Pam Ladrow for an initial advising appointment. After that initial appointment, you are advised as a psychology major.
- For all other Sophomore, Junior, or Senior Psychology Majors: You are encouraged to meet with a staff advisor once per semester to make sure you are making progress toward the requirements for graduation. Appointments for staff advising can be scheduled via the sign-up system on Canvas. New psychology majors are typically added to the Canvas group automatically, but if you were not added, you can contact the Director of advising, Dr. Sara Estle.
Wondering whether to meet with a Staff Advisor or your Faculty Advisor?
It depends on your goals:
- General Academic Planning: If you would like help planning your course schedule for the current semester or for future semesters, staff advisors are here to meet with you.
- Primary Faculty Advising: If you would like help planning for graduate school, your primary faculty advisor can help. Your primary faculty advisor is listed in your Genie account. Contact information for your primary faculty advisor is located on our department web page.
Specific Advising Topics
- Pre-professional Programs Advising for the Psychology Major: If you are a psychology major planning to attend graduate school for medical school, dentistry, veterinary science, physical therapy, or occupational therapy, please make an appointment with Dr. Sara Estle.
- Studying Abroad Planning: If you are a psychology major planning to study abroad, please make an appointment with Dr. Pam Ladrow to discuss integrating the coursework with your psychology major.
- Receiving Credit for Psychology Courses Completed at other Four-Year Institutions: If you completed coursework at another four-year college or university and would like to know if it counts toward your UNCG psychology major requirements, please contact our Undergraduate Program Director.